Arnold

In 1853 Gold was found at Sandy Creek, Tarnagulla, and in 1859 at Inglewood, this in turn brought a large increase in the population of the area.

The rich quarts had to be transported by horse teams to the Government Battery at Tarnagulla. With the only bridge over the Bullabul Creek located on what is now the Calder Highway, this made a tedious long journey to the Tarnagulla Battery.

In 1855 David Arnold cleared a track from Inglewood to the present site of Arnold which made the journey much shorter. He prospered from the collection of tolls for crossing the bridge as well as the sale of refreshments. This in turn resulted in the area becoming as known as Arnold Bridge.

The information Board at the Arnold Hall provides interesting information on the early days of Arnold.